segunda-feira, 13 de julho de 2009

Woodcut # 8








For the last woodcut I decided to do something special, a technique I wanted to try since I saw it for the first time on an old engraver's book. It was a portrait by Albrecht Dürer using a technique called chiaroscuro, meaning something like light and shadow (aka reduction block print). The person I used for the portrait is also a very special person for me.

I did the study on photoshop, based of a photograph. I painted each color on a different layer, overlaying (not the layer effect) the darker colors above the lighter ones so that the silhouette would remain flawless. I then printed each color separately, black and white with a regular printer and used it as a base to carve by transfering the drawing to the wood with thinner (the solvent transfers the toner from the xerox to the surface you're transfering to). The separate colors shown up above are the ones made with photoshop. For this technique you have to print all copies of each respective color, as many as you want, at once before transfering the next layer of the drawing. You have to do this since you're using the same matrix for every color.

Nenhum comentário: